This is a very difficult one to write as it is philosophical hence have been pushing it for the last two weeks. But too long an absence from writing would really push my readers (don’t know if I have any) away.
We as the topic says, it is about acceptance. Well it can be interpreted in many ways, the way I look at is -is the key to being happy. You would have read many motivational books, taking about various techniques, habits etc to be happy (I have not read any such books, they are boring. Infact the only non fiction I have read is Freak-o-nomics).
Its very simple, it is to accept the current situation the way it is and be content with it and that is the key to being happy by being satisfied. Its about living and enjoying the present. There is a very thin line there about not being ambitious, about being averse to change, about being complacent but that is not what I am hinting at. It is easier explained with examples.
I take my example: So far the years that I have lived (I will not disclose my age), I have always waited for that perfect day to be happy with a lot of conditions. As a kid, i used to think if I get one walk-man, a racing cycle and an airgun, I would leave for the woods and be happy. Later once I made it to management studies i thought I will be happy when I get a job. Once in the job i waited for the right designation or the right salary. The salary kept going up and the reason to be happy kept shifting. Till date, i keep waiting for the day when it would be perfect, when i would wake up on the right side of the bed, when the weather would be perfect, when everything goes fine etc etc etc.
One discussion that I have had with my wife many times when i used to get back home after office was when would I be happy. She used to tell me to write a date on the wall when I would be happy. Sounds stupid and simple but is a very powerful thought. I had a good job, a great salary and everything that one could ask for but I was still waiting for that perfect day.
Some things that we are not happy about or we are not ready to accept:
1. Job; 2. Money; 3. Health/ Body; 4. Surroundings
1. Job: believe me you are lucky, many people don’t have jobs, or steady jobs. Your boss could be a problem but it would stay for some time till he moves on or you get promoted. Accept it as a part of your life and don’t let it define your happiness. If you don’t like the work you do, keep looking for a new one but be happy with the fact that the current one is helping you pay your bills and run your household.
2. Money: You would never have enough and hence you would never be happy. Accept what you have, the car that you drive, the phone that you carry, the house that you live in. Have you never seen a family of four on a scooter much happier than you sitting in a car. Enjoy what you have. Keep working hard and more money would come your way.
3. Health: You are responsible for your actions. Most people are unhappy about their bodies. Accept and be happy the way you are while you continue to strive for that perfect body. Being unhappy would only make you feel worse and you would keep indulging and stay unhealthy (its an infinite look which tends to negative at all times).
4. Surroundings: This pretty much sums up everything. You are stuck in traffic every day to work and crib about it. Accept and start enjoying the drive, listen to good music, let the people honk because you know people will, people will drive rash. Accept and move on and be happy. Not worth your time and energy and happiness to think about it.
It its not working for you, write that date on the wall when you would be happy.
Learn from this article and accept it the way it is. Since it was a fluid topic, was not able to structure this post well but will keep trying.
Please share your views and share this post if you like.